Next Time, Try Unleaded Instead


In 1755 Henry Hall, aged 94 years, who was the oldest-known member of the Hall Family of Lighthouse Keepers that kept lights around the English and Welsh coasts, lost his life due to ingestion of a melted lead. It all started when the lamp he lit caught the roof on fire. Soon the whole of Rudyard’s Tower was engulfed in flames. He tried putting the fire out but eventually was forced to retreat down the tower. As he looked up molten lead fell directly into his throat, causing his death.

That piece of lead is now retained in the collections of the National Museums of Scotland.

lead
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: